Wednesday, May 31, 2006

20-Something Peter Pan

That's me. And I'm proud of it. I never want to grow up! I may have adult responsibilities, but I'm no grownup. Grownups are fuddy duddies. I know people that are my age that are grownups, but I know people in their 40's who haven't grown up yet. That's how I hope to be. I went home to be with my family last weekend. I never turn down an opportunity to go to the lake and waterski. My cousin is 13, we've always been very close. I remember years ago when my sister got married (I was 17 at the time), my cousin announced that my sister was a grown up. As I sat at the kid table at Thanksgiving, I longed to be a grownup. What did I have to do to become a grownup?

Now, I've realized its not all its cracked up to be. Grownups sit with other grownups and have grownup conversations. You know, politics, religion, and the weather. I'll stick with the kid table where we can get away with throwing food (not really, we get caught, but then we blame it on the youngest one.)

Yeah, so I've decided to never grow up. Back to last weekend... as I was splashing around with my cousins and their friends in the lake, not a one of them over 13, they commented on how I wasn't a grownup. They said I was too weird to be a grownup. Oh well. When I was 21, my cousin said that you became a grownup when you got married. I tried to make sense of it. That means my sister was a grownup at 19, but my aunt didn't become a grownup until she was 32. Hm... my sister was grownup in 1999, whereas my aunt didn't grow up until 2000. Amazing.

So, if I want to stay a kid forever (anyone else hearing the Toys R Us theme song?), all I have to do is avoid marriage? I doubt its that easy. I've met some single grownups. I think it comes from bitterness and a lack of a sense of humor. You've officially become an old fart when you can't laugh at yourself.

In the meantime, I'll continue in my immaturity. Perfectly happy. After all, things could always be worse...

1 Comments:

At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home