Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Get outta here!

Since my life is dull and boring, I decided to spice it up last weekend. Holiday weekends were make for getaways. Thus, I got away! Where? I went to New York City! YAY!

This may not seem like a big deal to some, but to me it was a HUGE deal. I rarely go anywhere. And in the past year the only place I've gone out of town is home. It was somewhat last minute. But totally exciting!

It ended up being my roomie, her friend Blondie*, my friend Ute, and me! We booked a hotel at the last minute (Friday afternoon), and then we left Saturday morning at 6:30, Blondie thankfully drove. Who knew that NYC is only 4 hours away? Yeehaw!

We bought theatre tickets to see Sweeney Todd (dark comedy... lots of blood), and went to a local pizza joint that had the most amazing pizza. No where in DC can you get an entire meal for $3! Gosh, I love pizza!

Yeah, so Saturday night we ordered in the nastiest takeout ever. It didn't sit well with any of us. Then we went to the theatre. It was just a few blocks from our hotel. Did I mention our hotel was literally one block from Rockafeller Center? Oh, and one block from The Radio City Music Hall... oh, and one block from 5th avenue!

5th avenue.

Be still my heart.

Sunday was a full day, Blondie and my roomie went to church, were as Ute and I decided to hit up 5th avenue, but then we saw there was a huge festival going on on the Avenue of the Americas! Everything was Brazilian, lots of good food, tons of vendors. It was great.

At noon we met up with the other girls at 44 & X Hell's Kitchen. Wow that place is awesome! The waiters are totally hott and nice! No, I mean like really nice. Blondie had experienced a mean New Yorker on her way there... some guy hopped out in front of her car and screamed at her that in NY, you can't turn on a redlight. Whoops. Yeah, so she was a little upset. When she explained this to the waiter, he was a doll! He brought out 4 mimosas! Yeah, we felt so bad turning them down! Blondie's the one who did it, she looked at him, made one of her adorable faces (because she's a total knockout) and just said, "Oh, thank you so much, but we don't drink! But we really do appreciate the gesture!" He looked crushed at first, and then took the drinks over to the semi-celebrity.

That's right. There was a semi-celebrity.

Who, you may ask?

HIM

I totally recognized him as soon as I got to the restaurant. I almost pulled out my camera phone but I restrained myself. For my friend's sake.

Yeah, so the semi-celebrity got our rejected mimosas. I wonder if he knew? It makes me feel more important than him. Look at me look at me! My rejected mimosa went to a celebrity. Kinda. Not everyone can say that!

Back to my trip, we ate our fabulous brunch, feeling bad for rejecting the mimosas, only to have the waiter come back with CHOCOLATE! He said, "If you all don't eat chocolate, I'm just gonna give up!"

How could I possibly say I don't eat chocolate? So, I didn't say a word. I had 2 bites of the vanilla ice cream and then let the other girls take everything else. So sad. This chocolate fast is a real bummer.

After brunch, we went back to the hotel, where Roomie and Blondie changed and went to Central Park, and Ute and I hopped on the subway (I know! I totally rode the NY Subway! I've never done that before!), and went to Chinatown!

Why Chinatown?

I was in need of some purses. I don't want knockoffs with PAGADIO on the label. I want a fake Prada that says PRADA. So, that's exactly what I got! I went a little hog wild. I bought 9 purses and 2 wallets. But in my defense, 3 of the purses and one of the wallets are for other people. And, sadly, despite all the purses I bought, I still can't help but think about the one that got away. There was a medium sized Coach patchwork purse that I stared at but didn't get. I got the big Coach patchwork, and a small hip purse in the Coach patchwork, but not the medium sized.

Yes, I have a problem. I'm addicted to adorable purses. And shoes. And clothes.

Later that day we hit up MEXX, a great clothing store, as well as a few other stores. Lucky I don't live in New York because I'd spend all my money on clothes. All the clothes I bought are things that I know none of my friends have. Around here, all my friend shop at Old Navy and Target. But in New York, the possibilities are endless.

Monday morning we work up early and walked across the street to the Today Show set. We watched portions of the show from the Rockafeller Center. Maybe you saw me.... maybe not.

After a quick breakfast, we all packed up, car stuffed to the brim, and headed to the Carnegie Deli to buy cheesecake. Then we hit the road.

4 hours later, we were back in D.C.

So sad. Someday I dream of living in New York City. But I only want to live there for like 3 months... then I want to come back to quiet.

Yeah, so that was my weekend. It was awesome and I want to do it all over again. And again. And again.


*names have been changed to protect the innocent... or crazy.... or whatever.

1 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Miss Scarlet said...

I swear it always takes me longer when I go to Philly than when I go to NYC. So weird how that works out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home