Thursday, June 15, 2006

My Reality TV

When I was in college, I had a girl in some of my classes that just thought I was HILARIOUS! I thought it was funny that she found me so amusing, but then she started suggesting that I should do stand up. I thought about it seriously. Then.... nah! I realized that I could be funny when I was with a group of my friends, or maybe at a party, but if I tried to plan to be funny, it never worked out. The jokes wouldn't go as well if I planned out what to say ahead of time.

I guess that's why I find Last Comic Standing so interesting. I enjoyed watching the auditions, and Tuesday's show was good. Except I wasn't thrilled with the people they chose! There was this Jewish guy that I thought was hilarious... but he didn't make it. Of course. I don't like the pregnant Stella. I think her stuff is crude and not that funny. I do like the Willy Wonka look alike. Yeah, but that's about it. Disappointing if you ask me.

Still, I respect that they can get up there and make people laugh. I have stuff happen to me everyday that I can laugh about, but making other people laugh about your life is something else. When I was contemplating doing stand up, I realized that my family is hilarious. Not in the we're-rolling-on-the-floor-all-the-time kinda funny, but we're disfunctional and people find that funny. However, if I were to get up in public in front of strangers and make fun of my family, I think I'd be disowned. Yeah, another reason not to do stand up.

So, I was talking with a coworker today about what's funny and what's not. And we both agreed that Bridget Jones is SO funny. But I have met people that didn't agree. I love her character! She does the most alarming things.... although they aren't that alarming. I think we've all contemplated doing many of the things she's done. Like in the second movie where she continually barges in on Darcy because she thinks he's cheating. I've thought about doing that, but I never have. And seeing her results, its probably good that I didn't. My thought process is that I believe that many women love Bridget Jones because, as ridiculous as she is, we see a bit of her in each of us. Yes, I can be klutzy and awkward and say all the wrong things. My mother always buys me horrible clothes and insists that I wear them, I have granny panties and the other ones (the sexy unmentionables).... so there's a bit of me in her, and her in me! Not that we're so alike, I mean, she has better legs than me, but horrible hair. Half the time I wouldn't go out looking how she looks throughout the movie. But still I love her. Even if her bottom is the size of two bowling balls.

Plus, I find hope in that Darcy loved her and all of her "wobbly bits".... *sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home