Wednesday, May 03, 2006

This is me, take it or leave it

I'm a twenty-something single female living in D.C. and trying to survive the best way I know how. I was raised in the South and came to DC to see if I could make a life for myself. I've never been in a long-term relationship, yeah, no boyfriends, ever! I'm a recent college grad and I'm pining for college life. (I knew I should've been a teacher... summers off, a couple weeks for Christmas... ah, that was the life!) Not that I loved college, I definitely wasn't a huge partier but I found ways to have a good time despite the fact that I don't drink and I'm celibate. Yeah, no drinking, no smoking, no sex... I guess the jig is up, I'm LDS (aka... a mormon).

I'm really outgoing and I love being with people... yeah, I have no idea how I got involved with the government. I just kinda fell into it after college. I needed a job, they offered, I took it. So now here I am! My family all live within driving distance so we're all super close which can sometimes make things a bit.... interesting. I have a large group of friends which consists almost entirely of girls. Girls outnumber guys here like 3 to 1, so my dating life is almost nonexistant. I said almost not completely, which means I still have hope.

My mom got married when she was 19, as did my older sister. My grandmother and all my aunts got married before the age of 24, so I'm officially the old maid of the family. They think I'm quite the career woman since I have a nice place to live in the city, get a decent paycheck, and support myself entirely. Yeah, all this is impressive since I graduated with a degree in music. Lets just say, I didn't think I'd ever be where I am now. I just assumed I'd be one of those girls that got swept off her feet in college by a handsome young man and we'd live happily ever after... I'd get my degree *just in case* but I'd never have to work. I'd just stay home and take care of all the wee ones. Yeah, that's no happening any time soon. So here I am.
I went home to visit my mom about a year ago and went to church with her. I had an old lady I've known forever approach me and ask me about my "big city life"

OL: Oh, you're such a pretty girl, are you married yet?
Me: No.
OL: Hm... engaged?
Me: No.
OL: Well, I bet you have yourself a fella, don't you?
Me: No.
OL: Are you dating anyone?
Me: No.
OL: Are you interested in anyone?
Me: No.
OL: Are you a lesbian?
Me: No, but that's an option I hadn't considered.

Yeah, she hasn't spoken to me since. The heathen that I am! But my life continues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home